This course aims to comply with the requirements under paragraphs  and  of Regulation I/11 (Revalidation of Certificates) of the 2010 Manila Amendments to the 1978 International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW’78 Convention), as amended.
It intends to update the knowledge, understanding and proficiency (KUP) of the aforesaid Officers, who were certificated under the STCW’78 Convention, as amended in 1995, with the new competence and knowledge requirements and to revalidate their Certificate of Competency (COC) under the 2010 amendments to the said Convention.
Additionally, this training program covers certain KUPs leading to Management Level Deck competencies that are now incorporated in the new Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation (BSMT) curriculum to align and prepare the aforementioned Officers in taking the new management level course for marine deck officers.
For the function of officers in charge of a navigational watch, the trainees should be able to:
– Plan a voyage and conduct navigation
– Determine position and the accuracy of resultant position fix by any means
– Determine and allow for compass errors
– Forecast weather and oceanographic conditions
– Operate remote controls of propulsion plant and engineering systems and services
– Plan and ensure safe loading, stowage, securing, care during the voyage and unloading of cargoes
– Carriage of dangerous goods
– Control trim, stability and stress
– Monitor and control compliance with legislative requirements and measures to ensure safety of life at sea, security and the protection of the marine environment