This model course is intended to provide knowledge to those who may be designated to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Ship Security Officer (SSO), as defined in section A/2.1.6 (and section A/12) of the ISPS Code and in section A-VI/5 of the STCW Code, as amended, and in particular the duties and responsibilities with respect to the security of a ship, for implementing and maintaining a Ship Security Plan and for liaising with the Company Security Officer (CSO) and with Port Facility Security Officers (PFSOs).
Those successfully completing this course shall be able to undertake the duties and responsibilities as Ship Security Officer, as defined in section A/12.2 of the ISPS Code and in section A-VI/5 of the STCW Code, as amended, which include, but are not limited to:
- Undertaking regular security inspection of the ship to ensure that appropriate security measures are maintained;
- Maintain and supervising the implementation of the Ship Security Officer Plan, including any amendments to the plan;
- Coordinating the security aspects of passengers, and or the handling of cargo and ship’s with other shipboard personnel and the relevant Port Facility Security Officer;
- Proposing modifications to the Ship Security Plan;
- Reporting to the Company Security Officer any deficiencies and non-conformity identified during internal audits, periodic reviews security inspections and verifications of compliance and implementing any corrective actions;
- Enhancing security awareness and vigilance on board;
- Ensuring that adequate training has been provided to shipboard personnel, as appropriate;
- Reporting all security incidents;
- Coordinating of the Ship Security Plan with the Company Security Officer and the relevant Port Facility Security Officer; and
- Ensuring that the security equipment is properly operated, tested, calibrated and maintained, if any
It is assumed that those attending this course will be serving seafarers and that they are likely to be designated as Ship Security Officer. However, no specific entry requirements are contemplated.